Here are some favorite Coen Brothers movie quotes, as they occur to me. I was pondering the vast wealth of quotable moments from these films recently. The humor, well, it’s an acquired taste. Many people hate their movies. I find them mostly hilarious (although Javier Bardem was awfully creepy in No Country for Old men). Here are my favorite one-liners and exchanges. Many of them I find myself quoting, and smiling, at weird times. I realize it’s heavy on O Brother, Where Art Thou? quotes, but I’ve seen it several times with my sons, who like that old-timey sound of Pappy O’Daniel Flour Hour.
If you have favorite quotes form the Coen brothers, by all means, share them below.
- “These [balloons] blow up into funny shapes and all?” “Well no… unless round is funny.”–Raising Arizona.
- “What’d the devil give you for your soul, Tommy?” “Well, he taught me to play this here guitar real good.” “Oh son, for that you sold your everlasting soul?” “Well, I wasn’t using it.”–O Brother, Where Art Thou?
- You’re a sick fuck, Fink.–Barton Fink.
- Them boys desecrated a burning cross, who ever heard of such a thing? I suspect some miscegenation in their heritage–O Brother, Where Art Thou?
- Rollie! You take that diaper off your head and you put it back on your sister!–Raising Arizona.
- ‘Course it’s Pete. Look at him!–O Brother, Where Art Thou?
- “Say, Lou, did ya hear the one about the guy who couldn’t afford personalized plates, so he went and changed his name to J3L2404?” “Yeah, that’s a good one.”–Fargo.
- Cows! I hate cows worse than coppers!–O Brother.
- Give me that baby, you warthog from hell!–Raising Arizona.
- I’m a Dapper Dan man, dammit!–O Brother, Where Art Thou?
- Where’s my Honey!?–Barton Fink.
- “You alright there, Margie?” “Oh, I just think I’m gonna barf…”–Fargo.
- Is you is, or is you ain’t, my constituency?–O Brother.
- We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.–Raising Arizona.
- You ain’t our Daddy. You ain’t bona fide.–O Brother, Where Art Thou?